Thursday, October 4, 2007

on grammar, once more.

To the moron running "Antique's Etc." down the street:

The apostrophe has a very specific range of legitimate functions in written English.

It is used to denote possession (Frank's shoes, the dog's bowl, the cat's meow), or an omission ("it's" standing for "it is").

It is not used to indiscriminately separate all occurrences of the letter "s" at the end of a word from the rest of it. (In the words of a writer whose name escapes me at the moment, the apostrophe is not employed to alert the reader that the letter "s" follows.)

So, please, unless your name is "Antique" (and I know it isn't), please remove the improperly employed apostrophe at the earliest opportunity, so I won't have to do it with the aid of a putty knife and the cover of early morning darkness. That way, I won't have to flinch each and every time I have to take a left turn in front of your store on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment