Wednesday, December 27, 2006

a decent guy has passed.

There are plenty of posts and news items about the passing of former President Gerald Ford, the "Accidental President", so I won't talk at length about the man.

I do think that his decision to grant Tricky Dick an unconditional pardon was precisely the right one for the country, and I the fact that Ford made that decision even though he knew it would most likely cost him any future election speaks volumes about the man.

Men of such quality are rare in any demographic; among politicians, they are an extinct breed. He may not be remembered for any outstanding foreign or domestic policy achievement, but he made my personal list of Good Presidents, which is rather short. (The current inhabitant of the Oval Office is so far away from that list that if he spontaneously detonated, someone reading my list wouldn't hear the bang for three days.)

No comments:

Post a Comment